Writing or emailing your own senator or representative is an important way to support reforms you care about. The following tips can help:
- Please keep your letter brief, polite and focused on the issue you are writing about.
- If you are writing to ask a legislator to help you with a loved one’s case, it is better to do so in a separate letter.
- Always type your letter.
- Always include your full name, address and phone number, even in emails.
Safe & Just Michigan will provide sample letters for members on specific issues, at the time they will be most helpful.
Addressing your letter to State Senators and Representatives:
The Honorable (Full name), State Senator, State Capitol, PO Box 30036, Lansing, MI 48909-7536
The Honorable (Full name), State Representative, State Capitol, PO Box 30014, Lansing, MI 48909-7514.
A sample outline for your letter or email:
Mention in your first paragraph:
Dear Senator/Representative (Last name):
- You are writing in support of an issue.
- You are a constituent/your business is in their district/you are a leader in an organization, etc.
- The issue is very important to you/your family/the state, etc.
Mention in your second and third paragraphs:
- Examples of how the issue has affected you, your loved ones or the state of Michigan, etc.
Mention in your last paragraph:
- Urge them to support Safe & Just Michigan’s recommendations, the change you desire, etc.
Ask them to respond back, letting you know how they plan to vote/take action.
- Thank them for their consideration of your request.
Your full address
A phone number where you can be reached